Hey sis! I was looking through my files last week and found a post I wrote last year, but never shared and it blessed me tremendously! I wanted to share it with you this week! It was right on tine for me and I hope that it blesses you as well.
The other day, I was riding down the road getting my dose of some classic hip-hop. That true hip-hop that takes you back to the moment that you first time you experienced that song. Songs ranged from Black Sheep “The choice is Yours” all the way to one of my all time favorite songs “The Rebirth of Slick” by Digital planets. The next song that came on was “All Falls Down” by Kanye West. I caught myself singing to this song word from word.
“But the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things. For the road to riches and diamond rings. We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us.” As soon as this classic song went off I found myself saying out loud “dang, I miss the old Kanye!” Now this post isn’t a post to compare the “new” Kanye to the old one but instead it’s to dig deeper into a thought that came to my mind once those words left my mouth. As soon as “Dang, I miss the old kanye!” left my lips, the spirit whispered “what if God misses the old you?”
I literally pulled into a parking space to sit and reflect on that question. “What if God misses the old me?” I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t mean the old me before I developed a personal relationship with God, but what if He misses when we first discovered for ourselves how amazing He truly is! I know for me personally there was a time when I was hot on fire for Christ. I worshiped and praised God daily! I took pride in having daily quiet time with him! Now if I’m being transparent I must admit that there are some days when I put God on a back burner. I sometimes treat him as a “sideline” and not my main man. But I’m grateful that even when we are unfaithful, God remains faithful. I wanted to share a few tips if your relationship with Jesus has grown lukewarm. Here are some ways to renew your passion! He deserves all of us!
- Fasting. Sometimes we need a spiritual detox and fasting is one way of quickly doing just that. Fasting detoxes the body but it can also detox our souls and spirits. Fasting: strengthens and implements prayer, it brings blessings of obedience and it gives revelation of God’s will. There are several types of fasting but I usually allow the Holy Spirit to lead me in what to fast from. I usually fast from food from 6am- 4pm.
- Spend time in God’s Word: Get a bible plan through the bible app, download devotion apps, etc. Do what you can to spend time in God’s word. A lot of us fight battles physically that God intended for us to fight spiritually with his word! You can’t use it as a weapon if you don’t know what it says! One thing I started doing is looking at the verse of the day in my bible app and then I will read that entire scripture in my physical bible.
- Pray: Not only do I verbally say my prayers, but I have a prayer journal. In my prayer journal I write my personal request, intercessory prayers for others, and sometimes I simply write love letters to God. God likes to feel loved and appreciated just like us!
- Listen to Worship Music: I love worship music! I created a worship playlist on Apple Music that I’ll be more than happy to share!
- Serve Others: Volunteer at a local food bank , soup kitchen, etc. Do a random act of kindness for someone else! This takes the focus off of us and put the attention on God! Be a blessing to others without bragging about it. Sometimes our small actions can be momentous to someone else. It feels so good and draws us closer to God when we show love to others.
- Surround yourself with Inspirational People: It’s very important to surround yourself with people who love God like you do! People who encourage and motivate you to chase after God and cultivate your relationship with him.
I know a lot of us “hip-hop heads” miss the old Kanye, but what if God is missing the old us? He misses the way we use to love on him and put him first. I encourage you today to spend a little more time loving on God. Give him the love, praise and worship that He deserves. Life happens and sometimes distracts us from doing this with our whole heart. Whenever you feel yourself being lukewarm take a step back and spend some time with God. That little tug on your heart is him telling you He misses you!